Ever notice how the dawn of a New Year often brings about a health food revolution in the media? As if advertisers the world over suddenly stand in visual solidarity with the millions of resolutions to lose weight, exercise more, and eat clean. Well, in the words of Alice in Wonderland I say, “Curiouser and curiouser.” Why? Why because the early months of the year are the perfect time for a baker’s paradise, of course! Ready to be filled with scrumptious delicacies sweetened “eat me,” teacups beckoning “drink me,” and cookbooks calling “read me!”
For the baker in me, the health food revolution strikes its strongest beat when the skies are painted a golden hued cerulean blue, tulips are dancing in the garden, the clocks spring forward and the White Rabbit announces an unexpected, “We’re late. We’re late…for a very important date!” Bathed in a thyme sweetened glaze and slow roasted in the oven, these sweet glazed carrots are the perfect spring towards a healthy treat.
- 5-7 heirloom carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, dark or light
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed, sprigs discarded
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Peel and trim the carrots, halving larger carrots to ensure the dish roasts evenly. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the EVOO and brown sugar together, adding a few leaves of thyme, if desired. Pour the glaze over the carrots, turning to evenly coat. Roast 20 -25 minutes, stirring halfway through to re-glaze. Sprinkle with a few leaves of fresh thyme & enjoy!
- Decisions, decisions! Light brown sugar will yield a sweeter dish. Dark brown sugar will yield a slighty richer, deeper taste due to the additional molasses. Either choice is a win win!