The dog days of the summer sun are quickly coming to a close with fall leaves auburning on the trees and cloudy skies rolling in. Is “auburning” an actual word?!?
Strawberry Lemonade is a simple homage to a midsummer’s bounty. An easy to make, refreshing sipper brimming with lemony undertones highlighting the sweet red berries that make this drink taste like summer in a glass.
Grab your favorite cookbook and relax on the porch with a cooling glass of Strawberry Lemonade!
- 1 lb. strawberries, cleaned, dried, hulled, quartered
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup lemon juice (from 2 small lemons), depending on desired tartness
- 3/4 - 1 cup ice cold water, depending on desired thickness
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- Lemon and strawberry slices, for garnish
- Clean and dry the strawberries. Next, hull and quarter the strawberries placing them in a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar and macerate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the juices to develop.
- Pour the strawberries, sugar and their juices in a blender puréeing until smooth. Sieve the strawberry concentrate through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds. You should have about 1¼ cups of strawberry purée.
- Add 1/2 - 3/4 cup lemon juice, depending on how tart you like your lemonade, tasting as you go. Add 1/2 cup of crushed ice and return the concentrate to the blender, puréeing until the ice is smooth. Finally, add 3/4 - 1 cup of water, depending on your tastes!
- Garnish with strawberry and lemon slices and head outside to relax on the porch, strawberry lemonade in hand!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Recipe yields 3 glasses of strawberry lemonade!