Perhaps the easiest path to dinner is a simple roast, a flavorful hutspot, a saucy casserole.
The cast of characters is as varied as your imagination. Coarsely chopped veg, a smattering of herbs, a punch of protein, baked in a bittersweet jus and hi hi ho it’s off to the oven we go!
Reminiscent of candlelit tabletops, cauldrons over open fires and chilly evenings wrapped in comforting tartans, casseroles are the ovenly counterpart to microwave’s frozen friends – assemble, bake, enjoy.
And this potage is a gathering of gratifying mustard grains nestled amidst sweet honey and tangy Dijon bouncing off root vegetables and spicy smoked sausage. Easy baking, dinner’s in the oven!
- 2 jalapeno cheddar smoked sausages, chopped
- 1 small yukon gold potato, peeled, washed, dried, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, washed, dried, cubed
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh chives, minced, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place all of your chopped veggies and proteins in a small ovenproof bowl. Stir in the mustards, honey, butter, and EVOO. Season to taste and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and the potatoes are fork tender. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy straight from the bowl for easy cleanup!