Everything about The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook is ingenius. Imagine, taking the most basic, approachable recipes in your baking repertoire and revolutionizing them through the creative spirit inherent in arts and crafts.
A simple macaron recipe entwined in a dance with the moon. A birthday cake microprocessing frosting at the speed of a pentium starburst. A soft sugar cookie unicorned with the colors of a neon rainbow.
Einsteinian cookies, bedecked with chocolate chips, rimmed with intelligent glasses, and hopefully large enough for rosy red cheeks and impish smiles!
Be prepared to tuck in when making these adorable smart cookies. The glasses will need to set overnight, with the warm cookies being freshly baked first thing in the morning. Don’t let this discourage you! These cookies might be bookish, but they are also loads of fun!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies, chocolate chips reserved
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Black gel food coloring
- Rose gel food coloring
- 2 piping (decorating) bags
- #1 tip
- #2 tip
- The night before, bring an egg white to room temperature for at least 1 hour. Divide the egg white into 2 equal halves (about 1 tablespoon each). Store 1/2 of the egg white in a small airtight tupperware container in the refrigerator. We will use the remaining tablespoon of egg white to make the eyeglasses.
- Trace the outline of 3 small pairs of eyeglasses on a piece of parchment paper. (The Nerdy Nummies cookbook provides a template. It is similar to the one found here.) Turn the paper upside down and let's get started whipping up the darkest of royal icing!
- Using a handheld mixer with only 1 whisk attached, whip 1 tablespoon of egg white into a thick, white, glossy frenzy in a small mixing bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until a thick, creamy icing forms. Finally, fold in 1/16 teaspoon vanilla.
- Tint it with black gel food coloring to achieve a rich, solid black color. Add the icing to a piping bag, fitted with a #2 tip, and draw the eyeglasses on the parchment paper. (If you make a mistake, just wipe it clean and start over. No worries!)
- Allow to set overnight at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Bring the remaining 1 tablespoon of egg white to room temperature.
- Prepare the chocolate chipless cookies per instruction reserving the chocolate chips for decoration after the cookies are baked.
- Divide the dough into 2 cookies, pat them into discs and place 1" apart on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375º for 7-9 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute and then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Place 3 chocolate chips on the upper third of the cookie and 2 chocolate chips on the lower third.
- Make a second batch of royal icing as shown under Eyeglasses Step 3.
- Separate the icing equally into 2 bowls, Tint the first half with black gel food coloring to achieve a rich, solid black color. Tint the second half with pink gel food coloring until light pink in color. Scoop the icing to 2 piping bags, each fitted with a #1 tip.
- Carefully peal the eyeglasses from the parchment paper. Dab a dot of black food coloring onto the back of the eyeglasses and carefully secure them to the cookies. Pipe on the eyes and the smile.
- Using the pink icing, pipe on the checks towards the lower interior corner of the eyeglasses. Voilà smart cookies!
- Yields 2 cookies