I’m cold….and wet…and surrounded by fog. I love spring! The grass has a lovely hint of green to it and the vibrant scent of crushed leaves floats on the wind.
I can’t wait to eat my way through the lavender growing in the garden, the figs bursting from the branches of Figgy Pop (yes, I name my plants), and the fresh sweet limes sparkling on grocery store shelves.
My own little modern farmette is burgeoning with green herbs, winter bay leaves and juicy red strawberries. One day I will have blackberries on the vine, lemons dangling from trees, and a George Washington cherry tree for summer pies. (If my dad will stop convincing me that these are trash trees, of course!)
This is my last inspired recipe from Ashley Rodriguez’s gorgeous cookbook Date Night In. A crafty take on her roasted rhubarb recipe, I went even simpler – a nectarine, a sprinkling of mulling spices, a dash of honey, and freshly squeezed lemon juice tanned to a deep rich white peach color and studded with hints of cinnamon, cloves and the understated sweetness of caramelized fruit.
It’s amazing how the simplest of recipes are often the sweetest memories. Wishing you happy tidings! Slainte xoxo
- 1 nectarine, stone removed, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mulling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- dash of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Stir all ingredients together in a small baking dish until the nectarines are well coated. Roast at 400° for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Serve over ice cream or in a parfait with a hearty granola!