For years, my mom would make simple meals like this cheesy potato soup. It’s one of the few recipes that will always remind me of her. I think it’s the smell.
As it cooks, the house is filled with the scent of comfort – boiling potatoes, creamy onions and melting cheese. I love you, mummy!
- 5 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Cheez Whiz
- 1/3 cup milk
- Minced fresh chives, for serving
- 1 cup of prepackaged Marie Callender Cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup water
- Pam all butter cooking spray
- Peel, rinse and cut the potatoes into cubes. Dice the onions and add the potatoes, onions, butter, salt and pepper to a medium saucepan adding just enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375° (or to the temperature listed on the cornbread mix package). Spray 3 wells of a muffin tin with cooking spray. Stir 1 cup of cornbread mix with 1/3 cup of water until well combined. Pour into the 3 prepared muffin cups. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester at the center tests clean.
- Returning to the soup, stir in the 1/3 cup Cheez Whiz and the 1/3 cup milk. Using a potato masher, mash the potato soup four times at four points of a compass. Taste for seasoning and thickness keeping in mind the soup will thicken as it cools. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Sprinkle with chives and serve warm with cornbread muffins!
- Recipe yields 3 servings of potato soup along with 3 cornbread muffins.
- Reserve the remaining Marie Callender Cornbread mix is a Ziploc bag for a later use!