The comforting light of spring is heating up my days and adding an element of color to my table. This week’s recipe is another fabulous find from Ashley Rodriguez’s Date Night In cookbook. I am surprised to discover how much I am enjoying her story! But more on that in another post!
Today, I want to talk to you about carrots….and maple syrup….and coriander….and cilantro….and yum! You wouldn’t think a small burn under the broiler would change carrots from sugary sweet to caramelized wonders, but it does.
You wouldn’t think that a dark, somewhat blandish looking sauce would melt into a world of unlocked flavor, but it does.
You wouldn’t think that a fresh sprinkling of cilantro would add such vibrancy and light to the richer tones of ground coriander, but it does. A welcome way to usher in spring. A healthy start to a new season. Hugging you with warm Maple Coriander Carrots! xoxo
- 5-6 baby carrots, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Dash of red pepper flakes (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Minced fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Wash, dry, peel and half the carrots. In a small mixing bowl, mix the EVOO, maple syrup, and coriander until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Bathe the carrots in this sauce until generously coated. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through and continue baking until "gnarled, charred," and fork tender. Sprinkle with cilantro and enjoy!
- If you leave a small portion of the stems on the carrot, you can eat them just like Peter Rabbit! As finger food!