If I asked, “have you ever met the Captain?” What would you respond? Afterall, The Captain suggests their can be only one. Only one Captain Jack Sparrow, Captain Morgan or Captain America.
“Where’s the rum?” narrows the playing field, but only a little. Pretty sure Captain America doesn’t drink! I mean look at the guy – not one ounce of rum fat!
Nope, this an homage from Hemingway to Jack Sparrow via Captain Morgan and his private stock of ambered treasure, deep island riches and fruity problems. In the infamous words of Captain Jack Sparrow, “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem.”
Ah, yes indeed! Because the problem is one thirsty pirate. The attitude is not to just hand him a bottle of rum, but a pitcher of silver lime and golden grapefruit juice, cut with ruby red maraschino cherry and the dark brown treasure chest of brown sugar syrup. Oh and don’t forget the rum. Lots and lots of rum!
Although this drink stands tastily on it’s own two Shirley Templed feet, try it as a cocktail for the full experience of all Hemingway has to offer. Great writer, proficient barista, and, thanks to some extended island time, no doubt he was a great friend of the one and only Captain Jack Sparrow! Cheers. xoxo
- 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons of water
- 1" slice of lime
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of pink grapefruit zest
- 3 tablespoons of pink grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 ounces of Captain Morgan Private Stock Rum, optional
- 1/2 ounce of maraschino cherry syrup (from a jar of maraschino cherries)
- Brown Sugar Syrup
- Ice cubes
- A chilled glass
- Grapefruit Sugar, for the rim of the glass
- A grapefruit and lime wedge, for garnish
- Whisk the brown sugar and water together in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Place the brown sugar syrup in the freezer to chill for at least 10 minutes. At the same time, place your glass in the freezer to begin chilling.
- Gently whisk the sugar and grapefruit zest together on a small plate. Gently run a 1" lime wedge around the edge of the chilled glass. Turn the glass over and dip in the grapefruit sugar until the edge is generously coated.
- Next, fill the glass with ice cubes
- It's cocktail shaker time!
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and pour in the grapefruit juice, lime juice, brown sugar syrup and rum. Give it a quick shake mixing all the ingredients together until well combined and sieve into the glass. Gently add the maraschino cherry syrup, garnish with a grapefruit and a lime wedge and enjoy!
- I would definitely suggest splurging for the dark brown sugar is it is of particular importance to the finished drink.