For Giada de Laurentiis, the title of her new cookbook Happy Cooking couldn’t be more perfect. Everything about her is cheerfully impeccable. Her makeup is a light dash of color that makes a joyful statement. Her wavy hair relaxes naturally over one shoulder. Her outfit is casual with dashes of leathery edginess accentuating playfully distressed jeans. The venue is a decadent theatre with gilded paneling and a delightful crystal chandelier dangling from the ceiling.
It was a wonderful evening! Blessed with a lovely, charming personality, Giada was incredibly generous with her time, thanking guests for attending and displaying a welcoming smile, a comforting warmth and a table of friendship. Structured as an informal Q&A, Miss de Laurentiis goes one step further and, in addition to a book signing, allows her guests the opportunity to take a personalized photo with her, a gentle recognition that we are there to say hello even if just for a moment.
Although no cooking was involved, the evening was filled with personal culinary lessons from the ultimate professional. It was truly memorable to be able to sit back, relax and soak in all that she had to share. It is my hope that you will grab a cup of coffee and share these memories with me. As Giada says in her cookbook, “Be good to yourself”my friends and enjoy these words of wisdom shared by Giada on her book tour An Evening with Giada!
- Happiness! – “The strongest version of me happens when I am cooking.” A very simple yet profoundly relatable statement. “Hence the title of my new cookbook, Happy Cooking.”
- Goals! – “[In choosing to become a chef,] I wanted to make people’s mouths water.”
- Patience! – “Ultimately, most of life is hard work and part of life is luck. The trick is to find a balance between the two!”
- Drive! – “Be careful not to get so focused on the end result that you miss the drive! Life is about the journey, not the end result.”
- Shine! – “Find out what makes you unique. Everyone has a gift. Once you discover it, you will unlock the treasure chest that is and can be your destiny.”
- Cook! – “As a business owner, you have to understand every layer of your product. And then do what you do best!”
- Learn! – “Choose recipes that are special, that tell a story, but that really work! Hand them out to friends, beg them to try them and then listen to their feedback.
- Be Approachable! – “Recipes should be readable, approachable and successful! If they aren’t successful, then you risk losing your audience.”
- Have Faith! – “Throw fear out the window. It will only stop you from doing what you really want to do in life.”
- Believe in Yourself! – “Don’t give yourself a Plan B. There is only Plan A in this world!”
- Grow When You Are Ready! – “Expanding a business is a tricky decision, because you have to be careful not to expand so quickly that you lose control of your product.”
- Nurture Success! – “Success is like a child that has be coddled and nurtured. Build a team that understands the mission and value of what you do.”