Three days I sit and wonder. Three days I take to harbor. Three days of cream and yogurt. Three days…
I start as a mixture of liquids, thin like the seas, white like the snow. Day one is remiss of surprises. I start as I finish. Be patient, the best is yet to come.
Day two I coddle and I curdle requiring a good stir every few hours, a little loving spoonful of care and attention to bring me to life. A breathe of fresh air gently folded in to thicken the gills, to puff up my confidence.
Day three brings a bevy of rich astonishment, cream thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, color a bright, fresh white, glossy in the light, body rich like whipped cream. Lovely handmade Crème Fraîche. So simple, destiny completely in your hands.
How do you like your Crème Fraîche? Thick like a marshmallow? Consistency of sour cream? It’s all up to you, comme tu veuilles! xoxo
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- Whisk the two ingredients together, cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 72 hours, stirring occasionally, until a rich white and thickened to the desired consistency. So easy!
- Yields 1/2 cup of Handmade Crème Fraîche
- Stores in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Traditional recipes call for buttermilk to thicken the cream. However, when reading Ashley Rodriguez's Date Night In, I loved the idea of yogurt to yield a much lovely creamier finished product. Although it took a few days longer than suggested, the results are pure genius!