Pouring rain. Chilled to the bone. Dogs resting at my feet. Taxes….ugh! Maybe I’ll just make a cup of tea and a muffin first! Wonder what I have in the fridge??
Grapefruit, cinnamon, rolled oats, whole wheat flour. The warmth from the oven, steam rising from a mug of hot tea. The crunchy crackling of a crisp sugar coating atop bright pink grapefruit.
Someone once said that a muffin is nothing more than an unfrosted cupcake, but somehow it’s exactly what I was craving this morning. Late start, one bowl, 5 minutes, breakfast rising in the oven! Happy Sunday! xoxo
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ tablespoon grapefruit juice
- ½ tablespoon Egg Beaters
- 1½ tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1½ tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoon rolled oats
- 1½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
- 1/16 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/16 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/32 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1") slice of grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Demerera (in the raw) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until a smooth batter forms. Decant the batter into a single opening of a prepped large muffin tin.
- Gently press the grapefruit slice on top of the muffin. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and Demerara sugar to create a nice sugar crust.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes until a risen golden brown in color and perfectly set at the center.
- Scullery Notes: I always keep a jar of premixed cinnamon sugar for recipes like this where I need a quick hint of sweetness. But keep it simple, just add ground cinnamon if that's all you have!
- This recipe only makes one muffin! Using a 6 cup large muffin tin, prep one cup with a single cupcake liner. The five remaining openings will be left empty!