Eggs. The powerhouse of the kitchen. A rising agent for bakers. Custard for a quiche. Add cream and sugar for a frozen treat.
Over the past few years, I have often wondered why I chose thecomfykitchen.com as my moniker. There were so many options – some with more sizzle, others more simple but true. At the end of the day, cooking is my comfort factor. I schedule my weekends around a layered cake, my alarm clock around a sourdough starter and my workout routine around the simpler things in life.
After a long morning run, I love tucking into a colorful plate…bright yellows against clean whites. Hints of bacon amidst violet red onions and garden fresh chives. I love that a good meal can be a little slice of heaven after a long day at work. Comfort. It’s a word that conveys so much with so little effort. Happy Sunday!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon of Miracle Whip
- 1/2 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt (preferably 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 slice cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 slice nutty whole grain bread, toasted
- In a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover the eggs by at least an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once at a rolling boil, remove the pan from the heat, cover and allow the eggs to steam for 12 minutes-14 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath to chill, peel and chop.
- Meanwhile, begin toasting your bread. In a medium bowl, add the chopped eggs, mayonnaise, greek yogurt, Dijon, red onion and crumbled bacon. Stir and season to taste. Serve on toast and sprinkle with fresh chives. Delicious!
- Eggs underdone? Try placing them in an oven proof dish and bake at 350 for 3-5 minutes. Usually does the trick nicely! I hear you can actually hard boil eggs in the oven with no fuss. Has anyone tried it yet?