Visions of orange zested cranberries dance against the soft, velvety background of this sugar coated muffin.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 20-25 minutes Makes: 1 muffin
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons frozen cranberries
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon egg beaters
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon vanilla paste
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/16 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/16 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 375º.
2. In a small mixing bowl, zest a small section of an orange (about 1 teaspoon total) and set aside for use in step 4.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the cranberries and orange juice to a boil. Once they begin to boil, promptly remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. To the orange zest from step 2, add the flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, melted butter, egg beaters, buttermilk, vanilla, vanilla paste, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Drain the cranberries as you will not use the liquid in the muffin batter. Fold the strained cranberries into the batter and stir to combine.
5. Pour the muffin batter into one cavity of a six cavity muffin pan. Fill the five remaining muffin wells with water so that the muffin bakes evenly. Sprinkle the top of the muffin with the remaining one teaspoon of sugar.
6. Bake at 375º for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown! Serve warm!