Sweet, cinnamony chocolate melts from the corners of this sweet yeasted cake. Pair it with a cherry vanilla infused cuppa tea for the perfect afternoon treat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 35-45 minutes
Special Equipment: 5.75” x 3” mini loaf pan Serving: 1 mini loaf
3 tablespoons whole milk
½ teaspoon yeast
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon egg beaters
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3½ tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
½ tablespoon all purpose flour
½ tablespoon butter, room temperature
1. In a small ramekin, microwave the milk for 30 seconds. Pour the yeast and ¼ teaspoon of sugar over the top of the warm milk and set aside to let proof for 5 minutes.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon egg beaters plus ¼ cup of sugar until thick and pale yellow in color. To the egg mixture, add the flour, salt, and the melted butter stirring to combine. Next, add the proofed yeast and continue mixing until incorporated into the flour. Finally, fold in the cinnamon and chocolate chips. The batter will be thick and moist. Pour the batter into buttered mini loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool, dry place to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 325°.
4. Streusel Topping – In a small bowl, gently cut ½ tablespoon of butter into 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar plus 1/2 tablespoon of all purpose flour until crumbly in texture. Evenly distribute the streusel topping over the mini Chocolate Chip Babka.
5. Bake at 325° for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.