Make this Barefoot Contessa classic… today!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Makes: 2 (12oz) Chicken Pot Pies
For the Thyme Roasted Chicken
2 recipes of thyme, salt & pepper roasted chicken breast, prepped per instructions
For the Crust
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon butter, cubed
2-4 tablespoons ice cold water
1. Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a mini food processor. Give it a spin to mix them together. Next, add the shortening and the cube butter. Give it one more spin to blend together. Finally, beginning adding the water one tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a ball in the bowl of the mini food processor.
2. Divide into 2 equal discs and place in the refrigerator to chill whilst you prepare the filling.
For the Filling
2 medium carrots, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base, to taste
1/2 – 1 (15oz) can of chicken stock
1 sprig of thyme
1/4 cup of frozen peas
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon egg beaters, for the egg wash
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Soften the carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, butter and EVOO in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
4. Next add the Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base and stir to combine. Gradually add the chicken stock a little at a time, stirring to incorporate into the filling. Continue adding chicken stock until the filling is the desired thickness. Test for seasoning.
5. Finally, stir in the peas and equally decant the filling into two 12oz ramekin.
6. Roll out each disc of crust to fit the ramekins. Place the crust on top of the filling. Gently brush with egg beaters. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (and a few leaves of thyme if you like). Place in a 350° oven for 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.