One day, I will bake you the loveliest Macaroni and Cheese. A fancy cheese lovers paradise filled with creamy Gruyère, sharp Vermont White Cheddar and hints of Pecorino. A picturesque casserole highlighted by a pinch of nutmeg, simple elbow pasta and topped with a crunchy breadcrumb topping. A decadent treat best enjoyed with a Rosé and a warm cozy fire.
But tonight, I’m tired, broke and hungry. I need protein, veg and a quick, easy meal after a long, exhausting day. Hey! Look on the bright side – you’re single so you can eat whatever makes you happy. But most importantly, there’s no judgment at the dinner table. A good meal can be made with the simplest, and sometimes cheapest, of ingredients. Cheaters Mac + Cheese is no exception!
Case in point. This Cheaters Macaroni and Cheese has a creamy, über cheesy sauce folded around small pasta, green peas and small coins of smoked jalapeno cheddar sausage. A quick dish fit for a hungry queen…and it’s all for you!
- 1/3 cup dried elbow macaroni pasta
- 1-2 jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage(s), thinly diced (to taste)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ tablespoons half + half
- 1/2 cup Cheez Whiz
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Prepare the pasta per instructions. Cook, drain and set aside to cool.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the smoked sausage in a small frying pan with 1 tablespoon of water. Caramelize over medium heat, stirring as needed, until the sausage is cooked through and golden brown at the edges. Remove from heat and add the frozen peas stirring as needed.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain the pan, setting the pasta aside to cool. Melt the butter, add the half + half, Cheez Whiz and season to taste. When the cheese is melted, fold in the pasta, smoked sausage and peas. So good, you'll want to eat it out of the pan!