Apples, almonds, and a binge run of Sherlock are a match made in heaven. Just when you think Benedict Cumberbatch can’t get any better, he steps into the role of a modern Sherlock Holmes. He keeps bloody thumbs in the freezer next to the apples and frosted eyeballs next to the almond paste in the freezer. Anyone fancy an Apfel-Marzipan-Kuchen cake?
I knew I was hooked on this show when Cumberbatch first entered the scene. “Right then. Shall we start with the riding crop?” Remember the days when brilliant shows were hard to find? Now there’s The Crown, Versailles, The Walking Dead and so on. As someone whose not much for television, I turn mine on once a week for a maximum of 3 hours, I have now been locked in front of this tv for two solid days, attention rapt as Sherlock solves the latest mystery. And he’s not alone! Martin Freeman as Dr. John Watson is by far the best character update imaginable.
“Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring!” So average. Sherlock, on the other hand, arrives at Buckingham in a sheet toga, solves mundane cases via Skype and uses his high functioning sociopathic nature to lambaste the average human with his exceptional intelligence and wit!
What does this have to do with apples and marzipan? Absolutely nothing! I baked a cake and sat in front of the tv. A rather lovely unproductive weekend, if you asked me! Now, on with Sherlock!
- 1 small pink lady apple, peeled, cored
- Juice from 1" slice of lemon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ounce almond paste
- 1/32 teaspoon salt
- 1½ granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons Egg Beaters
- 2½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon apricot jam + 1-2 drops water, for glazing
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of a mini springform pan.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apple. Soak in the lemon juice and set aside to rest while you prepare the cake batter.
- Melt the butter in a small mixing bowl. Add the salt, sugar and chop up the almond paste into small pieces, adding them to the melted butter. Using a handheld mixer with one beater attached, mix until the almond paste is smooth and the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the almond extract and the Egg Beaters.
- Next, add the dry ingredients - flour, cornstarch and baking powder, stirring until a smooth batter forms. Chop half of the apple slices into small chunks, adding them to the batter, stirring to coat. Decant into the prepared mini springform pan. Top with the remaining apple slices, arranging in a neat pattern. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean at the center.
- For the apricot glaze, add 1-2 drops of water to 1/2 tablespoon of apricot jam and microwave of 10-15 seconds or until melted. Brush on top of the Apfel Marzipankuchen and set aside to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, grab a spoon and dig in. Best served with a binge watch of Sherlock!